ORC (Organized Retail Crime) Analyst
Location: Lakeland, FL
Job ID: 26572BR
Department: Loss Prevention & Security
Date Posted: Nov 16, 2023
Publix Super Markets tops the list of privately-owned supermarkets in the US. We are privately-owned, hold no long-term debt and continue to grow year after year. Publix and our associates excel in community involvement, volunteerism, and environmental sustainability. Our collective commitment to diversity has contributed to our success in being a great place to work and shop. It’s satisfying to work for – and be an owner in – a Fortune 100 company that is widely recognized as a leader in the supermarket industry.
The purpose of this position is to provide analytical expertise in efforts to combat Organized Retail Crime (ORC). This includes analyzing retail data from multiple sources to identify and predict where existing or new ORC groups are likely to target. The incumbent must also provide administrative support to the Manager of Retail Security Solutions.
The responsibilities listed on this position analysis are not intended to be all-inclusive and additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Extracting and analyzing ORC data from multiple sources (both internal and external data sources) independently and upon the request of ORC investigators. This includes:
- Analyzing data within the LP Case Management Tool (CMT) to determine how individual crimes may be related to other individual or groups of crimes by comparing modus, product type, frequency of activity and descriptions of serial offenders.
- Writing queries in platforms like MicroStrategy, Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel to capture and analyze retail inventory data such as ship-to-scan data, net inventory adjustments, inventory results and ad-hoc reporting.
- Interpreting the results to confirm locations of existing ORC booster and expose new areas where such groups are likely operating.
- Summarizing and sending the information to field investigators for case work and to retail management to alert them of possible ORC activity to increase the quantity of incident reports from stores.
- Applying internally imposed standards of confidentiality to analyses results and making determinations of which information can be shared with outside entities such as other retailers who are likely victims of the organized crime activity, law enforcement, prosecutors, etc.
- Presenting the analysis of the relatable data to field investigators or law enforcement to either initiate an ORC investigation or to provide material support to existing ORC investigations.
- Importing CMT and retail inventory data into Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software. This includes:
- Analyzing data to determine the:
- Geographic scope of ORC activity using heat mapping and spatial positioning
- Identity of other retailers affected within the scope of the identified criminal activity
- New ORC activity and identity of offenders not previously known through internal reporting
- Defining and plotting current and/or historical activity by geographic grouping, which will represent a trail of activity by ORC groups.
- Layering proximity and probability displays with any anomalous data (such as competitor locations, known fence addresses, etc.) to ensure crime mapping effectiveness.
- Providing results to support existing ORC investigations or to expose suspected ORC activity to justify resources necessary to initiate a new ORC case. Due to the sophistication of many ORC groups, investigative resources are always needed internally and often include various law enforcement agencies across multiple jurisdictions and other retailers who may be victims of the same organized criminal activity.
- Performing other analytical and administrative tasks as assigned by Manager of Retail Security Solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, criminal justice or an analytical science related field, or equivalent experience (if applicable)
- 3 years of analytical and clerical experience using Microsoft Word, Access, and Excel, collecting, organizing, and disseminating abundant information accurately
- Must be proficient in GIS mapping software
- Experience with internet search engines, public data sources, social media
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written with all levels of the company, as well as external customers
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and ethics
- Show enthusiasm, initiative and be self-motivated
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Willingness to work a variable work schedule
- Master’s degree in criminal justice, behavioral or analytical discipline, or its equivalent
- 5 years of analytical and clerical experience using Microsoft Word, Access and Excel
- 3 years of experience in GIS mapping software.
- Experience with relationship databases such as Python, Oracle and SQL Server
- Knowledge of Publix Loss Prevention policies and procedures
- Knowledge of ORC behaviors or other criminal methods
- Certifications from accredited loss prevention (Loss Prevention Certified (LPC) and/or Loss Prevention Qualified (LPQ)
- Fluent in Spanish
- Employee stock ownership plan that contributes Publix stock to associates each year at no cost
- An opportunity to purchase additional shares of our privately-held stock
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Group health plan (with prescription benefits)
- Group dental plan
- Group vision plan
- Sick pay
- Paid Parental Leave
- Long-term disability insurance
- Company-paid life insurance (with accidental death & dismemberment benefits)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vacation pay
- Free hot lunches (buffet-style) at facilities with a cafeteria
- Paycheck direct deposit
- Credit union
- Access to over 50 discount offers including discounts on computer, vehicle and wireless purchases
- 6 paid holidays (associates can exchange the following holidays with their manager’s approval: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day).
- The departments core hours are 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday, but the schedule may vary.
Your application may have additional steps that you will need to complete in order to remain eligible for consideration. Please be sure to monitor your email, including your spam folder, on a daily basis for critical, time-sensitive emails that could require action within 24-48 hours.
Please do not use your Publix email address when applying. Once your application has been successfully submitted you will receive a confirmation email
NOW HIRING Security Officer, Starting pay $16.20 per/hr- Miami
Enforce all Publix security policies and procedures, detaining and questioning persons as required Work with facility management in matters of …Loss Prevention & Security
NOW HIRING Security Officer, Starting pay $15.45 per/hr- Lakeland
Enforce all Publix security policies and procedures, detaining and questioning persons as requiredWork with facility management in matters of safety, …Loss Prevention & Security
ORC (Organized Retail Crime) Analyst
Publix Super Markets tops the list of privately-owned supermarkets in the US. We are privately-owned, hold no long-term debt and …Loss Prevention & Security
HIRING Security Officer, AM, Starting pay $16.20 per/hr- Drfld. Bch
Enforce all Publix security policies and procedures, detaining and questioning persons as requiredWork with facility management in matters of safety, …